Ideas for keeping Christian during the Christmas season
How many of us by the time we get to Christmas are already "done" with Christmas? It seems like each year the Christmas preparation season gets longer and busier with more expected from us. Sometimes it’s difficult to be Christian during the Christmas season hustle and bustle. So, here are some ideas for not "losing your religion" during this most holy and joyous season! (And who knows? You might just shine the light of Christ into someone else’s life!)
Ideas for keeping Christian during the Christmas season:
1. Be an agent of God’s grace -— even when no one else is. Be kind and forgiving.
2. Have patience —- even when no one else does. Harrumphing isn’t going to make people move any faster. Use those extra minutes in lines or in traffic to count your blessings
3.When someone wishes you "Happy Holidays," smile and say, "Thank you." Notice the intent behind the words rather than the words themselves.
4. Remember this is the season of peace! Don’t go looking for conflict. Be a peacemaker.
5. Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy. Daily time with God as well as intentional time set apart for spiritual nurturing and rejuvenation will help us stay focused on Christ.
6. It’s all really about the incarnation! This season isn’t at all about what WE do or about how WE celebrate. This holy season is completely about the incarnation of God — Emmanuel, God with us.
7. There is no perfect holiday. Certainly Mary and Joseph had envisioned a different scenario of their son’s birth and life. God works through our imperfections. Go with the flow.
Perhaps if we all practice these little reminders we can overcome the stress, look forward to Christ's birth, spread the true meaning of this holy season, and enjoy a blessed (and Merry) Christmas!
— Thanks to Rev. Beth Garrod-Logsdon, Wilmore Presbyterian Church